Autodiscover Exchange 2010
There are 4 ways of implementing Autodiscover for Exchange 2010:
- Set the SCP to the url of the autodiscover server
- DNS/HTTP redirection
- the client's application looks for the autodiscover method
- if it detects that the DNS/HTTP redirection is used (because trying previous methods didn't work)
- the domain suffix ot the email address is extracted : "domain.com"
- the client checks to which host "autodiscover.domain.com" is resolving
- a DNS CNAME record is in place. it resolves "autodiscover.domain.com" to "autodiscover.otherdomain.com".
- a DNS A record is in place. it resolves "autodiscover.otherdomain.com" to an IP address
- the client checks if port 80 on the resolved IP is open and listening.
- the client requests the url "http://autodiscover.otherdomain.com/autodiscover" and is redirected by IIS to HTTPS: https://autodiscover.otherdomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
- locally configured XML file
- DNS SRV records (most used method for Autodiscovery)